From the tiniest of minnows to the colossal giants of the deep, fish come in all shapes, sizes, and colors, each with its unique story to tell. You can find them everywhere on Earth’s waterline, Fishes like pirana and tiger sharks are attackers who are born to kill but some love to spend time with humans like dolphins, the behavioral nature is totally different.
Whether you’re an avid fisher, a marine biology devotee, or simply someone who enjoys the peaceful beauty of an aquarium. Explore 70 amazing fish trivia questions to start your journey to understand the fish species better. Let’s start…
- There are approximately how many fish species exist in the World?
Answer: – 33,000
- What is the most commonly farmed fish in Canada?
Answer: – Salmon
- What are the two fish that are long-distance travelers?
Answer: – Tuna and Sharks
- Salmon fish live in which water system?
Answer: – Both fresh and saltwater
- How many sides do a common starfish have?
Answer: – Five
- What is the top speed of a sailfish?
Answer: – 68 mph (109 km/h)
- Every clownfish is born as which gender?
Answer: – Male
- Which jellyfish species glow bright green in the Dark?
Answer: – Aequorea Victoria (Crystal Jelly)
- Which form of oxygen does fish filter in the water to breathe?
Answer: – Dissolved Oxygen
- The teeth of which fish are similar to the humans?
Answer: – Sheepshead fish
- What are the three shark species that glow in the dark?
Answer: – The kitefin shark, the Blackbelly Lanternshark, and the southern Lanternshark
- Which fish is capable of regenerating its broken body organs?
Answer: – Starfish
- The jawless hagfish is commonly eaten in which two countries?
Answer: – Japan and South Korea
- What are the two fish that have no swim bladders to keep balance in water?
Answer: – Sharks and Rays
- How high can a flying fish fly above water?
Answer: – 6m (20ft)
- Which starfish species has four arms?
Answer: – comb sea star
- What is the origin of European Perch?
Answer: – Europe and North Asia
- Most of the fish species live in which body of water?
Answer: – Freshwater
- Which fish has the ability to swim backward?
Answer: – Blue Gill Sunfish and Eels
- What is the only fish that can blink during swimming?
Answer: – Shark
- Which country is the biggest salmon fish consumer in the World?
Answer: – United States
- How deep can a Mariana snailfish dive into the water?
Answer: – 8,178 Meters
- Which fish is capable of changing its sex itself?
Answer: – Clownfish
- Where does catfish love to lay eggs?
Answer: – In its Mouth
- Fish generally have cold-blooded metabolism except which one?
Answer: – Opha
- What is the only fish that can survive in sub-zero temperatures?
Answer: – Snailfish
- Which fish sucks up other fish’s blood to feed itself?
Answer: – Lamprey
- Which starfish species has most of the arms?
Answer: – Sunflower sea star
- What fish can survive several days out of the water?
Answer: – Mudskippers
- There are how many types of tuna species live on the Earth?
Answer: – 15
- How many colors of goldfish exist on the Earth?
Answer: – 7 (Red, orange, blueish-grey, brown, yellow, white, and black)
- What traditional dish does the Japanese make with Pufferfish liver?
Answer: – Fugu-kimo
- Which fish has the smallest brain-to-body mass ratio?
Answer: – Bathypelagic bony-eared Assfish
- What are the two Lobe-finned fish that exist today?
Answer: – Lungfishes and the Coelacanth
- Through which medium do fish communicate?
Answer: – Gesture and Motion
- How many fish species have been collected in Australia’s Great Barrier Reef?
Answer: – 1500
- What are the two jawless fish that still exist on Earth?
Answer: – Hagfish and Lampreys
- To escape from predators which fish inflate its body?
Answer: – Pufferfish
- What was the price of the most expensive Bluefin Tuna ever sold?
Answer: – $3 million
- Which one is the longest life span fish species that can live up to 392 years?
Answer: – Greenland Shark
- How much electricity does an electric eel discharge in a single shot?
Answer: – 650V
- What is the poison found in Stonefish’s body?
Answer: – Verrucotoxin (VTX)
- Which male fish get pregnant and give birth?
Answer: – Male Seahorse
- Which place is the best to swim with manta ray fish?
Answer: – Maldives
- Which fish has the ability to walk on land?
Answer: – Snakehead Fish
- During which months do most of the fish lay eggs?
Answer: – April and Early June
- Which fish has a unique ability to repair its damaged heart muscle?
Answer: – Zebrafish
- Which part of the fish skin helps to glide through water?
Answer: – Scales
- When do porcupinefish inflate the body into a round shape?
Answer: – When Feel Danger
- The study of fish is known as what?
Answer: – Ichthyology
- How many eyespots does a starfish have?
Answer: – 5
- Which fish attacks when they are touched?
Answer: – Jellyfish
- The shark has how many bones in its body?
Answer: – None
- Which fish looks like a bell?
Answer: – Jelly Fish
- Which sensory scales help fish detect movement in water?
Answer: – Lateral line
- The term “fish” comes from which German word?
Answer: – Fisch
- What fish is used for fish dishes and chips in America?
Answer: – Cod
- The color-changing cells in fish are called what?
Answer: – Chromatophores
- Through which body part does the fish breathe?
Answer: – Gills
- What is the largest invertebrate fish in the World?
Answer: – Giant Squid
- What is the fastest fish in the sea?
Answer: – The Sailfish
- Which sea creature has no hard body parts?
Answer: – Jellyfish
- The term used for female fish is?
Answer: – Cow
- Which gas inflates fish’s swim bladder to help them swim?
Answer: – Oxygen
- The biggest fish in the World is?
Answer: – Whale Shark
- Which one is the smallest fish in the World?
Answer: – Photocorynus Spiniceps (6.2 to 7.3 mm)
- What is the biggest fish found in the Great Barrier Reef in Australia?
Answer: – Whale Shark
- Merlin in “Finding Nemo” movie is a what kind of fish?
Answer: – Clownfish
- A group of jellyfish is called what?
Answer: – A smack
- What is the fish mostly eaten in India?
Answer: – Rohu